Roxby village is situated adjacent to the A1077 approximately 4 miles northeast of Scunthorpe. The village along with the hamlets of Risby and Dragonby form the parish of Roxby-cum-Risby. The village has a long history with evidence in the form of a tessellated pavement from a Roman Villa. Archaeological finds suggest the area had been used in the Neolithic period as well as the Anglo Saxon. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Roscebi. (We hope to include a history section on this website giving further information in due course.)
Present day Roxby is a quiet pleasant village. The Elwes Estate who originally owned the village have now sold off most of it whilst retaining a few cottages and the farm land. Very few of the present residents are employed in agriculture. We have Anglican and Methodist Churches, the schoolroom of the latter acting in effect as the village hall.
The village is about a mile distant from the small town of Winterton which is well served with a good selection of traders plus Doctor, Pharmacy and Schools.
Roxby is on the main bus route from Scunthorpe to Hull which provides a half hourly service most of the day passing through Winterton, Winteringham and Barton. As well as the bus service there is a public footpath from Roxby to Winterton (known locally as “the trods”)
Andrew Percy presenting the village with a grant for renovating our war memorial, the clock on the church tower.
Roxby to Winterton Circular Walk
This walk incorporates the new footpath through the landfill site.
High and Low Risby and Sawcliffe now comprise a few farmhouses and cottages. These are the sites of 3 Deserted Medieval Villages.
Until 1714 when it was merged with Roxby the parish of Sawcliffe cum Risby had their own church at High Risby.
Risebi and Salecliffe were both mentioned in Domesday and as with Roxby archaeological finds suggest continued occupation for many centuries.
The modern hamlet of Dragonby reached by a road off the A1077 only dates back to the early 20th Century when houses were built for the workers in the new Ironworks.
However, extensive archaeological work shows that Dragonby (the name although seemingly Viking was invented in 1912) was the site of continued occupation with important finds from the Anglo Saxon and Romano British periods.